Mark Terry

Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Big Mo

June 11, 2009
You ever build something and feel it taking shape? Feel it gathering momentum?

I know you've probably felt that way about a novel project. It can be like starting to roll a snowball (sorry, for those of you outside snow zones like Michigan, snow is a crystalline form of rain; it comes from the sky and although sort of pretty, can pretty much screw your life up, and it's cold. For those of you who've never experienced snow, well, screw you, you lucky bastards), and it gets bigger and bigger... and hopefully you weren't stupid and tried rolling it on totally level ground or even worse, uphill. Good luck with that. (Feel free to insert writing career metaphor of your choice here).

Over the last few months I've been making plans to form an e-publisher. I talked to a lot of people about my ideas, gathered information, talked myself out of it, back into it, out of it...

And finally I went ahead and formed an LLC and then, seemingly overnight, hired a website designer and had business cards made up...

We're still in the design/implementation stage, but it's taking shape. The website has been a shock, because my designer specializes in small businesses and she's taken my ideas (almost notions) and made them into something professional looking, something that to me is quite dazzling. She did the same thing with the business cards. Not only does she have a good grasp of what I want, she has a much better grasp of what I need. Her questions have forced me to think through the business better.

It's an adventure. It could go nowhere. But I'm also now holding its potential in my hand and that can be fairly stunning.

Cheers,
Mark

6 Comments:

Blogger Stephen Parrish said...

I'm totally intrigued, but . . .

WHERE'S THE LINK???

9:46 AM  
Blogger Sandra Leigh said...

How exciting, Mark. Best of luck with your new (ad)venture.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Thanks!

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm having a hard time just changing my ISP. As Stephen says, where's the link?

1:35 PM  
Blogger Jon VanZile said...

Congratulations for taking the plunge. If this is the idea you mentioned before, I think you're barking up the right tree (I'm going with animal metaphors today -- and for the record, I haven't seen snow 15 years. If I remember correctly, it's kind of like ice, except it's OUTSIDE).

Good luck, and I'll pass along the best piece of business advice I know:

Buy low and sell high.

5:42 AM  
Blogger Erica Orloff said...

VERY cool Mark!!!
E

5:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home