Mark Terry

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Comfort Zone

November 8, 2007
I'll make this quick. I'm on my way out of the office for a few hours and an e-mail I got a little while ago suggests the shit's going to hit the fan on one of my projects (in a good way, but I'll be swamped) and I want to get out of the house before it does.

I popped over on Spyscribbler's blog and she wrote:

"It doesn’t matter how many stories you write, the process always seems to evolve. I thought I had my process down pat after sixteen novel/las, but that’s not how it works, LOL. Each story has its own challenges, you know?

"A wise woman once told me that if you’re uncomfortable, then you’re growing."

I remember talking to a multiply-published mystery novelist a few years ago. I told him I was working on a complicated novel about biological warfare and terrorism. He told me he was happy writing his mysteries and even though he had some ideas for thrillers and bigger novels, he was happy to stay in his comfort zone. The story I was working on was THE DEVIL'S PITCHFORK and I'm glad I pushed out of my comfort zone. I'm doing it again with several projects, primarily CHINA FIRE.

So, what do you think? Is it better to write in your comfort zone? Or should you push the envelope?

Cheers,
Mark Terry

6 Comments:

Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

Better ask me that when I'm done. Right now, I'd like my comfort zone back, please.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Joe Moore said...

Comfort zone? Writing for me is like the split second you lean back in a chair and realize the wall is further away than you thought.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Perfect, Joe.

My nonfiction doesn't work that way (thankfully) although I always have that exact feeling just before I start typing on any piece. I should write about my comfort zone as it relates to my NF, because it was by pushing my comfort zone that I was able to break into good paying markets and make a living at it.

But that feeling is perfect description of how it feels when I'm pushing harder on the fiction.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Charmingirl said...

Wholesale lingerie directly from China?
As a famous brand and specialized manufacturer of sexy clothing in China. We supply the international market with fashionable sexy lingerie and sexy costume since 2002. With advanced technology,all our products are of high quality. Now we have clients all around the world. Lingerie Wholesale and OEM are welcomed!

As a Lingerie Manufacturer, Charmingirl has standard workshop and production line, professional designers and experienced workers.
We do Wholesale Underwear,
Lingerie Wholesale, including corset and bustier,
Sexy Lingerie Wholesale, including bikini, underwear
Lingerie Wholesale, and Babydolls, Sexy Lingerie Wholesale, and
Sexy Lingerie Wholesale including sleepwear,clubwear.
Lingerie Wholesale from China: Lingerie China, you will find the
Leather Lingerie and PVC Lingerie, also you can buy
Christmas Costume and Xmas Lingerie
for your Christmas Lingerie Christmas day.
Our Wholesale center: Sexy Lingerie Wholesale can do Lingerie Wholesale online.
Halloween Costume,
also wholesale Adult Costume with fashion Babydoll Babydoll, and bra and panties Bra and Panties, Sexy Uniform Sexy Uniform is also our major products.
we have strong ability on production, research and technology, advanced facilities that is imported fromGermany and Japan, now our monthly output is 100000 pcs.

6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy to get some Atlantica online Gold and the Atlantica Gold is given by my close friend who tells me that the Atlantica online money is the basis to enter into the game. Therefore, I should buy Atlantica online Gold with the spare money and I gain some cheap Atlantica online Gold from other players.

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a new player , you may need some game guides or information to enhance yourself.
holic gold is one of the hardest theme for every class at the beginning . You must have a good way to manage yourholic money.If yor are a lucky guy ,you can earn so many holic online gold by yourself . But if you are a not , I just find a nice way to get cheap holic gold. If you need , you can holic online money at our website . Go to the related page and check the detailed information . Once you have any question , you can connect our customer service at any time .

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home