Mark Terry

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Midget Ninja Army


April 6, 2011
I received a phone call from one of the Chief Instructors of Sanchin-Ryu, the karate style I've been studying for 6 or 7 years and in which I hold a black belt. He asked if Ian (my oldest son, also a black belt), would be interested in co-teaching a class. This is a terrific honor and I said yes.

I knew this particular class site was open. The first instructor I was aware of is a great guy, but he was just finishing up college to be a chef and got a job in a chi-chi restaurant, and my guess is it's going to be a while before he knows or gets to a point where any of his evenings are free on a regular basis.

Then one of the chief instructors took the class, but that was a temporary situation because he was a couple hours away from the site. Then it was filled in by one of my friends, who already has a class (with an enviable, for the most part, Saturday morning time), and she was just filling in until the next session started. So I knew it was available, but didn't think Ian or I were likely to be asked, although I suspected it was possible. It was just that we are both fairly new black belts and they generally prefer to have people with at least a year's experience and/or apprenticeship take over a class. But Ian has been apprenticing and one or both of us has been substituting for a number of classes as instructors, so it's not completely out of the blue.

It sort of officially makes me a sensei, which loosely translates to "teacher" although a more accurate translation is "one who went before" which I actually like bit more, because it's more nuanced. At some point in the future, hopefully, I'll become a "certified sensei," whatever that entails, but in the meantime I'll just teach what I know and keep learning and studying.

Essentially we'll be co-teaching two classes, one which is all kids and one which is "family" i.e., may or may not have some parents and adults in it. I'm really excited about this and think it'll be a lot of fun.

So just in case you were wondering, yes, we're training our own Midget Ninja Army with plans for World Domination. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

(And I'd really like that photo better if there wasn't a grammatical error in it. I suppose that makes me a Grammar Ninja!)

6 Comments:

Blogger Travis Erwin said...

Wish I lived closer. Me and my youngest have been thinking for signing up for some classes.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Travis,
It's Sanchin-Ryu and it's almost always taught through Parks & Recreation programs. It's a non-competitive style - we don't do competitions, it's not a sport karate like Tae Kwon Do. But it's very good in that respect for families and us older folks who are interested in martial arts for exercise, the art, and the involvement. If you want I can check with Sanchin Systems and see if they have any classes in your area. Waco area, isn't it?
http://www.sanchinsystems.com/

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Eric Mayer said...

That's cool. I can't imagine being proficient enough at any athletic endeavor to teach it. Congrats to Ian and you. You old sensei, you!

7:41 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Ah well, Eric, I just have to be more proficient than the people I'm teaching. :)

7:44 AM  
Blogger markct said...

Just stumbled across your site and thought I'd say hello because my name is Mark Terry (Brigg, North Lincolnshire, UK)

5:07 AM  
Anonymous rajesh rao said...

nice article.........cool........

5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home