Mark Terry

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Random Writing Musings


February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day.


I've been up since 5:30, an hour early, because we wanted to figure out if the kids had school today. As it turns out, they do. We were hit by a "winter storm," and probably had they not had 2 days off last week because of cold temperatures, they wouldn't have school today. For those of you on the east coast, my apologies--what for us is a lot of wind and a decent amount of snow is, for you, becoming a nor'easter with freezing rain and winds up to 50 mph. We have winds in the 20s, cold temps and here in Oxford got maybe 5 inches, although the southern Detroit suburbs got significantly more.


I got an e-mail yesterday from one of my editors at Midnight Ink, letting me know what the galley schedule is for The Serpent's Kiss, the 2nd Derek Stillwater novel. I'm also in the middle of dealing with editorial suggestions for the third one, Angels Falling; if there's anything besides receiving a check to make you feel more like a writer, it's got to be overlapping editorial deadlines. Busy is good, right?


They wanted to know if I wanted an author photo. I sent them the one on the website and left it up to them. Maybe I should have used the one here.
Maybe not.
I've been working on a novel for kids. My oldest son has been reading along and he claims it's great. I'm weirdly pleased by that; more pleased by that than by positive professional reviews and even, maybe, more pleased by it than checks in the mail. I'm not sure Ian's all that discriminating a reader, but if he didn't like it I'm sure he wouldn't continue reading along after me, and he certainly wouldn't ask me what was going to happen next.
I suspect this is why we write. For the reader who falls in love with the characters and the story and wants MORE.
The opening paragraph:
They say that when you die, your life passes before your eyes. I don’t know about that. The only thing I thought of as I fell off my boogie board and got caught in the undertow of the big bad wave of doom was that I shouldn’t have eaten that second hotdog for lunch.
Well, what can I say. I'm having fun.
Best,
Mark Terry

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right about the multiple projects thing. This week I got three contracts in the mail. The bad news is that they were all for legal writing but still....I've got more job security for the next six months than a lot of folks with regular employment do.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Looking at my current situation objectively, Eric, I've got a ton of work to do between now and September 1st--maybe even October 1st, if you count needing to complete The Valley of Shadows, the 4th Derek Stillwater novel, by that date. So I guess I'd better get started on some of it.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You call that snow?!? Why, when I was a lad...tripped over something and realized it was a telephone pole...dug my way to school...burned mail order catalogs to survive the winter...etc.

Yes. Busy is good. Paid is even gooder.

If you require a second opinion on your kid's book, Sydney will be happy to point out your shortcomings. She's 13.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Yes, Ron, I walked to school five miles in the snow--uphill, both ways...

And I may very well take your and your daughter up on the offer. Another month or so...

9:30 AM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

We had snow. We're having some more snow now.

But I took a snow day! Of course that means I worked on writing all day, LOL.

I suspect your kids' novel is awesome. You seem to be having so much fun! For Valentine's Day, I wish you lots and lots of fun with it this year!

6:09 PM  
Blogger bill said...

Apology accepted. Stayed home all day, what a mess. Woke up this morning with quarter to half inch of ice on the cars. Michigan gets snow, New Jersey gets ice somewhere in the storm(usually). And tonight, the cold air is here.. That Michigan cold breeze arrived about 5pm. Must say I don't mind that part of it. The ice another story.

Mark, have made sure the kids have the first Derek Stillwater .. 4 for 4 loved it (counting me). Andrew passed it on to a friend and got great review.

Bill

6:42 PM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Bill,
Nice to hear from you. (You know Beth's son is getting married in March?)

Glad to hear you're passing the book around. Some writers call folks like you "sneezers." I definitely appreciate it.

And the cold hasn't left us here in Michigan. It came back with a vengeance. This morning's base temperate--0 degrees.

Wasn't I just in Tampa a week ago?

4:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope i can get Sho Online Mun in low price,
Yesterday i bought Sho Mun for my friend.
i want him like it. i will give Sho Online gold to him
as birthday present. i like the Sho gold very much.
I usually buy Sho Online gold and keep it in my store.

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a new player , you may need some game guides or information to enhance yourself.
holic gold is one of the hardest theme for every class at the beginning . You must have a good way to manage yourholic money.If yor are a lucky guy ,you can earn so many holic online gold by yourself . But if you are a not , I just find a nice way to get cheap holic gold. If you need , you can holic online money at our website . Go to the related page and check the detailed information . Once you have any question , you can connect our customer service at any time .

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home