Mark Terry

Friday, February 09, 2007

Odd Little Writer Moments In Tampa

February 9, 2007
Sometimes you feel like a writer. I didn't come to Tampa to do some book promotion--no time, actually and that's not why I'm here--but I did have a few moments.

On the plane here I was reading an ARC of David Morrell's next novel, "SCAVENGER" and after visiting the restroom on the plane, I noticed that the couple behind me were just finishing watching a movie on their little portable DVD player. I asked them what they had watched and they said, "Little Miss Sunshine." I asked them how it was and they liked it, said it was cute, but were surprised it was nominated for Best Picture.

Then the gentleman saw my ARC and said, "David Morrell has a new book out?"

I explained this was an advanced reading copy and the book was coming out in March and it was a sequel to "CREEPERS." She asked me how I get an ARC, so I explained that I was doing some sort of piece--probably an interview--for the International Thriller Writers, Inc., and since he had written such a great review of my last novel, I was returning the favor by doing some sort of piece on him. That got them going on my book--they're big readers, apparently--and as it turns out, the bookmark I was using was one from my first book "CATFISH GURU" and it had my website on it, so I gave them the book mark.

I ran into another person--I mentioned this in yesterday's post--and she asked me what else I wrote and I told her the novels and she wrote the info down, too.

So, I thought I'd throw out a quote from Morrell's latest novel and see what you think.

"He tried literature next but felt that most literature teachers believe they're adjuncts of the philosophy or political science departments. Nowhere did he hear anything about the hypnotic way in which stories transported him to a reality more vivid than the supposedly solid world around him."

Best,
Mark Terry

5 Comments:

Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

No mention of the sun? The 70 degree weather? Mark, I'm so disappointed.
Of course, we have plenty of sun, not that it's doing much to push away the cold.

Little Miss Sunshine was charming and funny, but when it ended, DH and I turned to each other and said, "That's it?" Still, it's a good movie.

That's a fascinating quote. I definitely want to read more about this lit professor.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Ah well, I haven't been outside yet. It was 50 degrees and foggy again in the morning. I believe it's supposed to be sunny and 71. With any luck I'll spend some time in it before heading back to the airport.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Interesting quote. I guess that's why there are different genres. Some people read for entertainment, for escape, for the excitement and adreline rush of a new adventure. Others read to get a different perspective on the human condition through someone else's philosophies. I think we need both. Or am I way off on what he was saying? lol.

Anyway, I'm extremely jealous that you got to soak in some Florida sunshine. The cold is just depressing! Have a safe flight home.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

WEll, I'm sitting in the Tampa Airport, waiting and waiting.

I sat outside for a while before taking a cab to the airport and it was beautiful.

Now, I'm a freelance writer and I can live anywhere there's an Internet connection, so...

Why am I living in Michigan?

Anyway, one of the things I think is interesting about that quote is how that often seems true. How literature classes seem to focus on something quite different than what writers need to focus on.

And I'm reminded of a lot of the bitching about Stephen King receiving the that national book award (whatever it was) and how that one critic and college professor ran his mouth on what a travesty it was.

There's a part of me that thinks that literary awards--all of them, not just the biggies like the Pulitzer and the National Book Award--are nonsense. Of course, if I get a Thriller or Anthony or Edgar Award sometime in my life I might feel differently, although I'm sort of like like George Clooney when he won his recent Academy Award, noting that an actor's award is kind of strange in that they're all performing different rolls. And then he said, "Maybe if all of us were to play Batman..."

And I wonder about that, too. Let's say that "The Devil's PItchfork" gets nominated for, say, the Thriller Award. Then it would be up against books as diverse as Joe Moore and Lynn Sholes's "The Last Secret" and Jay MacLarty's "Life Wire" and several hundred others.

How do you compare? Who wins? Perhaps if everyone is asked to write a book abouta hero trying to keep a terrorist attack from happening within a 24-hour period, and seeing what people come up with it would be more fair.

So all of this is weird, isn't it?

12:23 PM  
Blogger Joe Moore said...

> Now, I'm a freelance writer and I can live anywhere there's an Internet connection, so...
Why am I living in Michigan?

Here’s how to decide, Mark. Whip up a batch of frozen margaritas, pour some in a salt-rimmed glass with a fresh wedge of lime hanging over the lip, and set it outside by the pool in the sun. If it starts to melt, you’re living in the right place. :-)

Hope you had a great Tampa trip!

Joe

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home