Mark Terry

Friday, July 15, 2011

What I've Been Reading

July 15, 2011
Here's the last 10 books I read:


1.     Sixkill by Robert B. Parker
R   Reportedly the final Spenser novel written by Parker. Not bad, actually. I liked it.

2.     Buried Prey by John Sandford
      Well, I'm a big fan anyway, but this is a terrific novel, especially the early flashback section.

3.     The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan
      The latest installment of The Kane Chronicles for MG readers. I like this series okay, but not as well as the Percy Jackson novels. This one is basically one long chase scene.

4.     Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi
      A reboot of a classic SF novel (which I actually have read), and I enjoyed this a lot.

5.     Gone Tomorrow by Lee Child
      Classic Reacher, which is to say, gripping, fun, but don't think too much about the plot.

6.     American Sphinx: The Character of Thomas Jefferson by Joseph J. Ellis
      Nonfiction, a dense, often frustrating book about the psychology of Thomas Jefferson (he was a flake).

7.     The Ghost by Robert Harris
      A re-read. I like this moody first-person novel about a ghostwriter hired to write the memoir of the retired British Prime Minister.

8.     How I Sold 1,000,000 eBooks in 5 Months by John Locke
      Very short, half of which is clutter, but the last half is very interesting and possibly useful marketing techniques.

9.     The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
      God help me, but I really enjoyed this book. I read it on the Kindle and I'm not sure I would have bought it had I realized it was over a thousand pages long before I did, but it's epic, sprawling, melodramatic, entertaining and covers some fairly interesting British history. Part of my thinking though as I read it was a confirmation that all those folks who like to dress up like lords and ladies and go to Renaissance Fairs probably haven't paid much attention to the reality of life in the Middle Ages.

10  House Divided by Mike Lawson
      A Joe DeMarco political thriller and this is quite a bit of fun. Poor Joe, he's really stuck in the middle on this one.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Eric Mayer said...

You remind me that I should at least read Little Fuzzy which, for some reason, I never did. And probably Pillars of Earth too because I read the equally long sequel, World Without End and loved it. I think I managed because of the length because the different story lines of the different characters, told from different points of view made it more like four separate books intertwined. An amazing trick.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Erica Orloff said...

Mike's is on my Kindle.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Eric,
I only remember a little of the original Little Fuzzy book - seems to me I read 2 of them, Little Fuzzy and Fuzzy Sapiens. Scalzi does a reboot with permission of the estate and it's a very entertaining book. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I didnt know there was a sequel to Pillars of the Earth. It's a terrific book, very entertaining and I think a good word for it is "ambitious."

9:16 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Erica,
House Divided is good. I think I liked it better than his last one. A little different though - no Emma and no Mahoney, and in some ways Joe is almost secondary to all the other stuff going on. Good though.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home