Mark Terry

Monday, August 24, 2009

Yes Man

August 24, 2009
I don't much like Jim Carrey or his movies, but I wanted to see this movie, "Yes Man" because I was intrigued by the premise. That is, someone who was depressed and having a nowhere life gets convinced to say "yes" to EVERYTHING. It's played to comic effect and I actually liked Carrey in this, and although I don't think it's a great movie, I thought it was a great message.

Because, in fact, I often find this to be true in my own life. Even the movie points out (eventually) that you can't say "yes" to everything, that people will manipulate you and you'll do stupid things. Nonetheless, the idea that the world will open up to you because you've opened yourself up to other things (doing things, meeting people, etc) I think is a powerful one.

And besides, I laughed right out loud at the final scene in the movie.

So, you tell me? Do you try to say "yes" to the world?

Cheers,
Mark Terry

4 Comments:

Blogger Tobias Buckell said...

I told a friend of mine who was considering freelancing to watch that movie, because in some ways it is uncannily about the mental states/breakdown you need in order to make that kind of jump. Saying yes to projects you have no idea how they'll work out, the euphoria, the mistakes as you realize what you thought the guiding principle was is not really, but was good as a starting rule of thumb, and then finding a moderate path that incorporates all you just learned into some sort of framework.

It still, on some days, seems weird to wake up and think "how will I make money x months down the road?" and just have to trust that for over 3 years things have kept happening and will continue to happen. Or maybe not. You just keep out there.

Terrance stamp is a fun actor, he was great as the motivational speaker, and I love the end scene as well.

-tobias buckell

11:36 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Terrance Stamp was great, particularly in the hospital.

And yes, I find it's a constant leap of faith to wake up and say, "Yes, I'll find work."

I confess, sometimes I realize when I'm talking to people who are out of work that I almost can't relate, because being a freelancer is ALWAYS being out of work, ALWAYS looking for a job.

I talked to a young woman a few months ago who was an editor who got laid off and I asked if she was considering freelancing and she said no, and it seemed to me she had all the tools, and a husband with a good job, she could make a go of it, but apparently that wasn't her mindset. And I've met other people like that. Oh well, less competition for me.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

I've said yes to a lifestyle I've dreamed of, said yes to spending my days doing what I want. It's blissful.

I've always found the hustling bit to be exhilarating. I love that I can sit down at any time of the day and make more money if I feel like it. I was closest to I've ever been, this spring, of taking a 9-5 job. Now I know that it's just not for me. I don't have the mentality. I like being in charge of my own success.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Spy,
I can't decide if I'm actually in control of my destiny, but I can pretend I am better, so I do.

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home