Mark Terry

Monday, July 28, 2008

iWolf

July 28, 2008
My son, Ian, took one of my ideas (I, Wolf) and ran with it last night, starting something he's calling (iWolf). Here's the first part. I think it rocks.

*  *  *

My name is Fang Titan and my parents don’t know that I’m a werewolf. 


I should have cut my loses when I realized my plan was spiraling out of control. But that would have told the Hunters that I’m not the smart werewolf that I am. When trying to break out four hundred miserable kids who are in their werewolf form you have to expect chaos. What I had was pure chaos, my plan was not going as I had planned. All the werewolves were scared and angry at the same time and I was running out of ideas. I twisted around and saw that the only way out was a sewer. Great.


I growled low and the other werewolves turned toward me. I smashed the manhole cover open and the others knew what to do. I tell you four hundred werewolves trying to get in a hole about five feet wide is not a pretty sight. 


I growled low again and the werewolves growled back at me. Universal code for shut up and leave me alone. When all the werewolves were safely through and I was about to go in when I felt a pain in my rear end. I looked around at my butt. 


Crap.


It was a paralyzing dart. I felt all the strength in my body leaving. Than I felt a strong tingling go down my spine. I looked at my body. I was changing back. Not good, not good. I stumbled for the manhole but was stopped. I hit the steel floor in a thud as all the energy in my body was zapped away.


So I was lying on the floor, cold and without the help of my werewolf rage, oh yeah and I had no clothes on. You don’t expect me to turn back to normal and still be wearing the clothes I wore when I turned into a werewolf? You are sadly mistaken. 


*  *  *


Let us know what you think. And by the way, Ian is 14.


Cheers,

Mark Terry

10 Comments:

Blogger Erica Orloff said...

Publishable. He should run with it.

Bravo!!!
E

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He has a good narrative voice. It would be interesting to see what he can do with this. Regardless of eventual outcome, it is a marvelous thing for a kid his age to experience doing real writing for joy of writing (rather than some of the dreary writing assignments that are handed out in schools).

6:53 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Oh, you guys are gonna create a monster. :)

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really easy to read. Believable. Great voice. And 14? Wow.

He should run with it, Erica's right.

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is terrific. I am impressed. It starts right in the middle of the action yet packs information about the protagonist and the situation into practically every sentence. No wasted words and I loved this line: "I tell you four hundred werewolves trying to get in a hole about five feet wide is not a pretty sight." Well, OK, take out "I tell you..." I am amazed that he would write that concisely, and get into the story so quickly and have the sentences doing double duty. Just what you want.

The heck with your writing Mark. You're now Ian's agent.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Jude Hardin said...

Cool story! You might want to guard that title before someone in Hollywood steals it.

Random House does a contest for YA novels every year (they have one for middle grade too). Deadline is Dec 31. Maybe you guys could co-author it.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

Oh that's FABULOUS! Wow! What a boy! I wish I was writing at his age. I wish I was writing that well at his age!

And he's got the twisting gene, that's cool. That's a rare perk.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I am very impressed. It flows so naturally and I couldn't stop reading - the mark of a true storyteller.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Zoe Winters said...

Wow. That's fantastic. 14? Holy crap on a cracker batman, nurture that! I can't wait to see him in print someday.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Allie said...

This is awesome!

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home