Mark Terry

Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Devil's Publishing Dictionary

January 4, 2007
Author Lynn Viehl has a hilarious dictionary posted on her blog today she's dubbed The Devil's Publishing Dictionary.

Advance - a sum paid to the author's agent after contract signing, as soon as the editor puts in a payment request to accounting, which is misplaced for three weeks to three months, re-requested, routed to senior editor for approval, misplaced again or completely forgotten until agent's fourth inquiry. The author may or may not see 30% of the agreed-upon advance, less that 15% owed to the agent, within a year of signing, upon publication of the contracted work, or when the author starves to death while living under a bridge, whichever comes first.

Blurbs - ringing but patently false endorsements of a book by buddies of the author, the author herself coyly pretending to be another author by using a pseudonym, or carefully-edited segments of bad reviews. Also known as cover quotes.


Check it out.

Cheers,
Mark Terry

5 Comments:

Blogger Ron Estrada said...

I have one.

Synopsis: a book report on your own damn book. Known to cause physical pain and weeping.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Ron,
To quote my own agent on synopses: "Keep it short. Agents and editors hate them."

From my own pov, I can't imagine if you've got even 20 pages of the manuscript why you would want to read a detailed synopsis, so I've followed my agent's advice and kept mine to about a page.

9:55 AM  
Blogger jislsnhd said...

It is the Archlord gold which make me very happy these days, my brother says Archlord money is his favorite games gold he likes, he usually buy some archlord online Gold to start his game and most of the time he will win the buy Archlord gold back and give me some cheap Archlord gold to play the game.

6:58 PM  
Blogger susan said...

I hope i can get Sho Online Mun in low price,
Yesterday i bought Sho Mun for my friend.
i want him like it. i will give Sho Online gold to him
as birthday present. i like the Sho gold very much.
I usually buy Sho Online gold and keep it in my store.

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a new player , you may need some game guides or information to enhance yourself.
hero gold is one of the hardest theme for every class at the beginning . You must have a good way to manage yourhero online gold
.If yor are a lucky guy ,you can earn so many hero online money by yourself . But if you are a not , I just find a nice way to get hero money. If you need , you can buy hero gold
at our website . Go to the related page and check the detailed information . Once you have any question , you can connect our customer service at any time .

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home