Mark Terry

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Anything Week


September 12, 2009
Today is the official start of "Anything Week" where instead of writing about the writing life, I write here about whatever the hell comes to mind. Why? I don't know. Just for variety.

So.

Starting Monday morning I'm going to go over to the high school and help out the guitar teacher with his two beginning guitar classes. This is a rather convoluted story, but the former guitar teacher was one of the band directors (and a friend of mine) and also my guitar teacher. He quit suddenly for personal reasons. The school quickly (very quickly) hired a new director because they needed somebody to teach jazz band, two guitar classes, music appreciation and assist with the marching band.

The new director, Joe, seems like a nice guy. He's very young, probably early 20s, and his primary experience, certainly the reason I suspect he was hired, is because he's got an amazing amount of marching band experience, really world-class marching band experience. But he doesn't really play guitar. 

So, thinking that 1. it might be fun., and 2. I might be useful, I volunteered to help him out once or twice a week. He accepted and I'll go in Monday with "Larry" (the name of my acoustic guitar; the Epiphone Dot Studio's name is Ares) and see if I can help.

I'm not sure it's a good use of my time, but it ought to be interesting.

Do you ever do things that make no sense just because it seemed like a good idea at the time you opened your mouth?

Cheers,
Mark Terry

p.s. That's a photo of me and Larry playing to Frodo.

4 Comments:

Blogger Erica Orloff said...

I try to judiciously volunteer, but there have been more than a few times when I have wondered, "What the hell did I sign up for this for when I have too much to do already?!?!?!"
E

5:52 AM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

This makes sense. You said you wanted to teach some guitar someday!

7:16 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Erica,
It does seem to me that I'm volunteering for a lot of stuff these days. That's probably OK, but after I opened my mouth on this one I thought, "Uh, okay, that's probably more time than I want to give." But it's temporary, I think.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Spy,
Yes, and maybe this will get it out of my system.

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home