Mark Terry

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Hancock


July 3, 2008
We went to see Hancock this afternoon. Critics have been pretty hard on it. I thought it was pretty good (not great). 

Here's the thing. The previews might give you an idea that this is a comedy. It's got its comic moments, particularly in the beginning, but it's actually a pretty serious drama.

And I think more importantly, it's got one hell of a lot of surprises in it. It takes quite a movie to surprise me and there was a MAJOR surprise in the middle of the movie that I really didn't see coming.

And the ending... nope. Didn't see how that was going to shake out.

So was it a great movie?

Um, no, probably not. The tone's uneven and it's a little odd. And Peter Berg's direction--or rather his persistent use of steadi-cam work (or unsteady-cam work, as the case may be) bugged me. That's hardly unusual. I find this current trend of jittery camera work to be annoying and distracting in most cases. Yes, I know that static camera shots are bad, but whatever happened to panning shots, etc., rather than shooting things so it looks like a movie shot by some amateur with Parkinson's disease?

Anyway, I think one of the things I liked most about it was it defied my expectations. I went in thinking it was a typical summer action/comedy film and discovered it to be something else entirely. And I was pretty happy about what that "something else" turned out to be.

Cheers,
Mark Terry

9 Comments:

Blogger MissWrite said...

Ugh, well last night when my son told me about the preview I laughed and thought it sounded cool...not anymore--and that jittery cam thing gives me a headache. Thanks for the heads up. I'll pass on this one.

4:59 PM  
Blogger spyscribbler said...

WHY do they do that? I was totally going to see it, but the jittery thing makes me nauseous.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Jude Hardin said...

Hand-held footage generally annoys me too. I get the theory behind it, and I can tolerate it in small doses, but "persistent use" tells me I better wait for the DVD on this one.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Erica Orloff said...

Hi Mark:
When I saw Unbreakable, I know a lot of people were expecting something entirely different, but if you like comics, then the comic book message, the mythology of it was great. And unexpected, in a sense. It wasn't a typical Bruce Willis movie.
E

8:38 AM  
Blogger r2 said...

This movie is great (not just good). I read all the bad reviews and almost didn't see it, but I'm glad I went anyway.

It does change pace and has a very wild twist in the middle, but it works.

I would recommend it to anyone. The shaky-cam to me isn't that off-putting.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

I'm essentially on the same page with R2. I wouldn't let my comments on the shaky-cam stop you from seeing Hancock, which, at the very least, is one of the more interesting movies I've seen lately. (My most enjoyable summer movie so far is "Iron Man" probably followed by "Indiana Jones" although there's a lot to complain about in the Crystal Skull.

Let's put it this way. I liked Hancock a lot more than Hulk and I thought Hulk was pretty good.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Liz Wolfe said...

The twist surprised the hell out of me. After than I had no idea how they were going to end it. Just those two things make it worth seeing. Then there's Will Smith.

10:57 AM  
Blogger sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,按摩棒,G點,跳蛋,跳蛋,充氣娃娃,角色扮演,SM,潤滑液,威而柔,精油,自慰套,自慰,免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,A片,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛,A片,色情,成人,做愛,色情A片,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,免費成人影片,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色,情色視訊,情色電影,視訊交友,視訊聊天,視訊聊天室,情境坊歡愉用品,情趣用品,情人節禮物,情惑用品性易購

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Scoper said...

Wholesale lingerie directly from China?
As a famous brand and specialized manufacturer of sexy clothing in China. We supply the international market with fashionable sexy lingerie and sexy costume since 2002. With advanced technology,all our products are of high quality. Now we have clients all around the world. Lingerie Wholesale and OEM are welcomed!

As a Lingerie Manufacturer, Charmingirl has standard workshop and production line, professional designers and experienced workers.
We do Wholesale Underwear,
Lingerie Wholesale, including corset and bustier,
Sexy Lingerie Wholesale, including bikini, underwear
Lingerie Wholesale, and Babydolls, Sexy Lingerie Wholesale, and
Sexy Lingerie Wholesale including sleepwear,clubwear.
Lingerie Wholesale from China: Lingerie China, you will find the
Leather Lingerie and PVC Lingerie, also you can buy
Christmas Costume and Xmas Lingerie
for your Christmas Lingerie Christmas day.
Our Wholesale center: Sexy Lingerie Wholesale can do Lingerie Wholesale online.
Halloween Costume,
also wholesale Adult Costume with fashion Babydoll Babydoll, and bra and panties Bra and Panties, Sexy Uniform Sexy Uniform is also our major products.
we have strong ability on production, research and technology, advanced facilities that is imported fromGermany and Japan, now our monthly output is 100000 pcs.

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home