Mark Terry

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Eureka Moments!!!!!


June 18, 2008
I had a Eureka Moment!!!!! (please note the numerous exclamation points, which are mandatory for Eureka Moments!!!!!!) this morning while showering. I don't know why I get so many Eureka Moments!!!!!! in the shower. That's where I ruminate, I guess.

(Cows, by the way, are ruminants. What does this mean?)

A Eureka Moment!!!!!! as you probably know, is when you have a REALLY GOOD IDEA.

Today, I was showering and ruminating (no cud involved) on how busy I am in my writing at the moment and where, more or less, I thought I would prefer to be in the long-term. And part of that where-I'd-rather-be was writing books and not for the first time I considered nonfiction books, of which I have been reading more of lately.

And, after all, I earned a degree in microbiology and public health, worked in healthcare and genetics for 18 years, and to this day still write a LOT about medicine, genetics, biotechnology and healthcare trends. And I had this EUREKA MOMENT!!!!!! about a potential nonfiction book proposal that would be broad enough to be interesting, leverage "my platform" and...

I've started making notes. 

Will I eventually act on this? Will I write my three chapters, proposal, etc., and go looking for an agent who handles nonfiction (mine does not)? Well, I don't know. I'm very busy. But at the moment, it seems like a hell of an idea, so I may want to try and set aside a couple hours a week to developing this and see where it goes.

God, I love Eureka Moments!!!!!!

Do you have them too? And how many exclamation points do your Eureka Moments!!!!!! have? And where do you have them? For me, the shower is #1, followed by #2, while walking Frodo.

Cheers,
Mark Terry

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm tempted to say-Eureka!!! I realized if I stopped reading blogs I'd have more time!!!!

With me it isn't "where" I have such moments. I tend to have them when I'm not working too hard, just kind of goofing off, letting my mind wander. Usually they aren't acted on because after awhile they don't seem so fabulous. Sometimes though.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

I know the "this isn't really such a great idea" thing a lot. And that may be the case with this Eureka Moment!!! (see, fewer exclamation points now).

I'm also all too aware that something that might be a great idea isn't necessarily a great idea for me. A topic for another blog, I think.

Also, I shouldn't underestimate the ability of my brain to crank out great ideas that are different from all the other things I'm doing--just because they're different from all the other things I'm doing.

6:40 AM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

Hey, cool! I keep wanting to write a book on piano teaching, because the books out there don't really tell you how to do it; they tell you how to ... oh, nevermind.

Someday. My problem with non-fic is throwing out TMI, and the important info gets buried.

The shower is AWESOME for ideas. I pre-write for the day in the shower. The shower totally rocks.

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't add, however, that non-fiction books are generally a great idea compared to fiction. So if you have the expertise to write one, and you obviously have the writing ability, then it sounds good.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Erica Orloff said...

Mark:
As many exclamation points as KUDOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-)

E

And as a P.S., my highest advance by a mile was for a nonfiction hardcover.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Melanie Hooyenga said...

Congratulations! You seem a little excited. ;)

9:59 AM  
Blogger Bernita said...

Mine achieve only one !
But they do occur in the bubble bath and walking the dogs.

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home