Mark Terry

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Chelsea Clinton Tells Questioner To F*** Off

March 26, 2008
Okay, not really. If you've watched the videotape of this, she appears flustered all to hell, gives herself some time to think, then tells him it's not any of his business, answers one more question, shuts down the Q&A and goes to the local bar and knocks back...

Okay, maybe not.

CHELSEA ASKED ABOUT MONICA
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 7:19 PM by Domenico Montanaro
Filed Under: 2008, Clinton
From NBC's Lauren Appelbaum
Campaigning in Indianapolis for her mother, Chelsea Clinton had a quick retort when asked a question she had never had before. When a male student asked her if her mother's credibility had been hurt during the Monica Lewinsky scandal, Clinton quickly responded.

"Wow, you're the first person actually that's ever asked me that question, in the, maybe 70 college campuses that I've been to," Clinton bitterly said at Butler University. "And I don't think that's any of your business."

My thinking on this is complicated. The fact is, her mother is running for president. As I think we've determined by now, when you're running for president, EVERYTHING IS FAIR GAME. Really.

Somebody wants to know why Barack Obama's black minister was ripping white American and why he was a buddy, they asked it.

Somebody wants to know how old Cindy McCain is (55, I believe) and how many face lifts she's had (dunno), they can ask it. Or, as his first wife, when asked why they got divorced, said, "Because he was 45 and wanted to act like he was 25." We can ask and somebody somewhere is gonna answer.

So, really, Hillary, I did go slip-sliding around on an icy pavement back in January to vote for you in the Michigan Primary (could have stayed home and had the same results; glad I didn't fall and break my leg on the church parking lot), but I have a question that's kind of similar.

Why didn't you give Wild Bill the boot? Why didn't you divorce him? Was it because you knew that if you did, you'd never be able to run for President? Is it because you've essentially had an open marriage and you've had affairs that haven't been uncovered? Is it because you're 60-years-old now and aren't interested in sex now and weren't when you were 52 and as far as you were concerned, Wild Bill could go f*** Pervez Musharaff as long as he stayed out of your bedroom?

Now, having said that, is it my business?

Beats me. I remember back when Wild Bill was being impeached, I was listening to WCSX here in Detroit and they asked callers what they thought, and somebody called in and said, "As long as the economy's going great, he can have sex with goats in the White House Rose Garden. I don't give a damn."

Which is sort of my reaction, too. Of course, the economy sucks, we're in a losing war in Iraq and an apparent stalemate in Afghanistan, so although Wild Bill got my vote because, ultimately all I want from my government is "peace and prosperity" (Hey, George Bush, you're 0 and 2!), but when we want problems fixed, it's nice to have some idea that the person we're hiring for the job just might be able to do it.

By the way, Hillary. That "running away from snipers thing?"--stupid. Why make up shit? Why exaggerate shit? You've been a hard-working, successful senator for how long? You were involved in healthcare reform? (A sort of spousal abuse, if there ever was any). You could honestly say, "Look, I was First Lady for 8 years. I was involved in policy. I traveled to 80 countries and met world leaders, acting, like most First Ladies do, as a sort of all-purpose ambassador-at-large. I had issues I was interested and invested in and I was involved in them. I have the most experienced presidential advisor at my beck-and-call so that the VERY FIRST DAY WE ENTER THE WHITE HOUSE WE CAN GET A RUNNING START ON SOLVING THIS COUNTRY'S PROBLEMS, without spending six weeks figuring out how to work the phone system or who to call to get a senator to drop by. I learned a lot from Bill's mistakes, not the least being not to have sex with interns. There's more to experience than solving crises in Kosovo, okay? I'm smart, I'm tough, I'm educated, I have a wide variety of experiences, I can do this job."

Oh, and Hillary? You can't win this. It's time to drop out. Just my two cents. It was a good run, but, uh, it's over, okay?

Cheers,
Mark Terry

4 Comments:

Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

Dear God, don't say that. I have a little longer to bury my head in the sand and believe she can win.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Stephen Parrish said...

Hey, George Bush, you're 0 and 2!

298 days to go.

Every word of this post resonates with me. I've tried hard to like Hillary, and if she does somehow win the nomination I'll vote for her. But the sniper thing suggests a screw of one kind or another is loose. Deciding suddenly she was a life-long Yankees fan instead of a life-long Cubs fan was, to me, the first rattle of that screw.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

SS-
As I said, I voted for her in the MI Primary, and up until recently I would have thought she'd make a good president. Now, I'm not so sure...

Stephen,
I know exactly what you mean. She's starting to look power hungry and desperate and that she'll do anything--and I mean ANYTHING--to get into that office. I'm afraid the idea of exiting gracefully just isn't in her makeup, that she's planning on taking it all the way to the convention and hoping to rally the super delegates to overrule the popular vote, which I think would be wrong. I also think it wouldn't work and she'd just end up being dragged out of the convention center kicking and screaming.

4:37 AM  
Blogger Melanie Hooyenga said...

While I agree with your logic & we've had several similar conversations at home about this, I'm hiding in the sand with SS just a little longer.

As a Chicagoan, the Cubs to Yankees switch irritated me, too.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home