Mark Terry

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Writing The Novel Proposal, Scalzi-Style

February 28, 2008
I started to watch a talk SF author John Scalzi gave at Google Headquarters, until I realized it was almost an hour long. You can check it our yourself here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZN6GA4JsOs

What amused me no end was, John posted one of his first novels online, serialized, and it was picked up by Tor. Then he was asked by the editor if he wanted to contract for another book. John said "sure" although he points out that the gist of the offer might very well be "we got one book cheap, how about two?"

So they asked John what the second book would be and he said: "Man solves intergalactic crisis through action scenes and snappy dialogue."

You know? Really, that's all publishers really need to know. (It may be less than they want to know, but it's probably all they need to know).

Cheers,
Mark Terry

7 Comments:

Blogger Erica Orloff said...

I love it!

My synopses are usually on the short side. Punchy dialogue, quirky characters, getting them from point A to point B.

The end.
E

4:13 PM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

The ones I've done have been a paragraph or two, but I thought John's was brilliant.

4:17 PM  
Blogger jislsnhd said...

Yesterday, my boyfriend gave me a lot of Asda Story gold and I buy Asda Story Gold as the gift to return him. The Asda Story money is attractive and I have plenty of the cheap Asda Story gold.

8:24 PM  
Blogger 蹦蹦 said...

buy wow gold
wow gold
buy wow gold
eve isk
wow power leveling
wow power leveling
wow power leveling
wow power leveling
warhammer gold
warhammer power leveling
bestchina traveland
UGG Cardy
UGG Classic Short
Tiffany Necklaces

10:53 PM  
Blogger susan said...

I hope i can get twelve sky Gold in low price,
Yesterday i want to buy 12sky gold for my friend.
i want him like it. i will buy twelvesky Gold for him
as birthday present. i like the 12Sky Silver Coins very much.
I usually buy 12 sky gold and keep it in my store.

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was very like to play the Rohan online game, in my mind I can gave up all things but I can not gave up the rohan crone, it gave me the courage and the confidence, in the game I was very like to earn the rohan gold, but I also need to buy rohan crone, but the same time I know a website sell the cheap rohan crone, so if you want to buy, I suggest you come here.

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you know rappelz rupees. And do you want to know? You can get rappelz gold here. And welcome to our website, here you can play games, and you will buy rupees to play game. I know rappelz money, and it is very interesting.Do you want a try, come and view our website, and you will learn much about cheap rappelz rupees. Come and join with us. We are waiting for your coming.

What do you know Pirates of the Burning Sea Gold. And do you want to know? You can get potbs gold here. And welcome to our website, here you can play games, and you will get potbs Doubloon to play game. I know potbs money, and it is very interesting.Do you want a try, come and view our website, and you will learn how to buy potbs Doubloon. Come and join with us. We are waiting for your coming.

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home