Mark Terry

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Mark Terry Interviewed on MyShelf--hey, that's me!

August 21, 2007
Dennis Collins also interviewed me on MyShelf.

Most Likely to Succeed
Interview with Mark Terry

I first bumped into Mark Terry at a small writer’s conference in Ontario, Canada. There were only a handful of Americans there and Mark and I were both from Michigan and so we naturally chatted a bit. Over the years our paths crossed numerous times at conferences around the midwest and we seemed to frequent the same online writer’s forums. We got to know one another in a casual sort of way and although I always loved the titles of Mark’s books (Catfish Guru is a great title.), I never read any of his work until I read The Serpent’s Kiss, for review right here on MyShelf. If you want to know what I thought of it, check out my August review.

Mark agreed to share some of his thoughts with us so here goes.


Dennis Collins: How long have you been writing?

Mark Terry: I started writing seriously my senior year in college. My girlfriend (now wife) had graduated and moved back home to work and my roommate took an internship for the summer, so I was living by myself—and reading a lot. I stumbled across a collection of essays about Stephen King and he had written the introduction called something like “The Making of a Brand Name.” What struck me most (besides his $400,000 advance for the paperback rights to “Carrie”) was that writers write. They don’t necessarily go to school for it, they sit their butts down in a chair and write and then send things out. It was a revelation and I promptly sat my butt down in a chair and cranked out a science fiction short story called “When Red Eyes Blue” about intergalactic war. It didn’t go anywhere, but I was hooked.

To read the rest click here.

Cheers,
Mark Terry

6 Comments:

Blogger spyscribbler said...

Great interview! And Catfish Guru is a really great title.

So where'd you stumble across these essays about Stephen King? Sounds like a gold mine, to me!

7:26 PM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Bookstore. I believe the title is "Faces of Fear" although I'll have to check.

Yeah, titles come from odd places. I don't regularly watch fishing shows, but I was watching one once and they were doing something about fishing for catfish and this redneck kind of drawled, "Well, y'all gotta go talk to Ed, he's pretty much the catfish guru around these parts."

And I thought, "Eureka!"

5:44 AM  
Blogger spyscribbler said...

Wow. That's so cool!

6:25 AM  
Blogger jislsnhd said...

I am so happy to get some Atlantica online Gold and the Atlantica Gold is given by my close friend who tells me that the cheap Atlantica online Gold is the basis to enter into the game. Therefore, I should buy Atlantica online Gold with the spare money and I gain some Atlantica online money from other players.

6:39 PM  
Blogger susan said...

I hope i can get Tales Of Pirates gold in low price,
Yesterday i buy Tales Of Pirates Gold for my friend.
i want him like it. i gave Tales Of Pirates money to him as birthday present.
i like the cheap Tales Of Pirates gold very much.

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a new player , you may need some game guides or information to enhance yourself.
knight gold is one of the hardest theme for every class at the beginning . You must have a good way to manage your knight noah.If yor are a lucky guy ,you can earn so many knight online gold
by yourself . But if you are a not , I just find a nice way to get knight online noah. If you need , you can buy cheap knight gold at our website . Go to the related page and check the detailed information . Once you have any question , you can connect our customer service at any time .

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home