Mark Terry

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Anything But Writing



April 11, 2007

In which I ponder many things, but none of them are writing.

--more or less took yesterday off to spend with my kids. Took them bowling. I suck, but I got on a mini-streak in the first game and bowled five strikes--three of them in the last frame!--for a score of 137. Anything over 100 is a good score for me. Second game--97.

--took the kids, also, to see "Meet the Robinsons." I'm wildly lukewarm about this film (and when there are 7 credited scriptwriters, that's typically a warning sign), but I did like the concept of "a brilliant failure." Ie., we learn from our failures, not our successes. Liked it better than "Bridge to Terabithia," which I hated. Actually, the problem with Terabithia was false-advertising, since we went to watch what we thought was going to be a fun fantasy movie, but instead turned out to be about a little girl's death, grief, guilt and the healing power of imagination.

--Don Imus is in trouble for referring, apparently, to the Rutger's women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos." As usual, I am alternately appalled and impressed by Reverend Al Sharpton's ability to put himself front and center on any potential news story involving race. Call me an ignorant white guy (which I am), but shouldn't the women be more pissed off about being called "hos" than for being called "nappy-headed"? (which, although yes, I understand that is a perjorative term, does seem, er, to be an accurate description of most of the women on the team). And what of the Caucasian women (woman?) on the team. Does she say, "Hey, I'm not nappy-headed"? My wife thinks the press ought to ask the women what they think and ask Sharpton and everybody else to butt out.

--Nancy Pelosi goes to Syria (a day after three Republican colleagues, I might add) and the media can't make up their mind whether to cover whether she's stepping out of line or her fashion sense. In defense of Pelosi, Syria and everybody else in the Middle East seems aware that the Republicans no longer have much say in what the hell is going on in U.S. government today, let alone in two years, so they're treating it as a meet-the-new-boss kind of thing and George I'll-defend-my-stupid-decisions-until-YOUR-dying-day Bush should have much bigger problems to concentrate on--in my opinion.

--We introduced our kids to the glories of "MacGyver" last night, thanks to NetFlix. It holds up pretty well; the cars and some of the clothes are dated, but the concept works very well for them.

--broke off part of a molar eating some nuts Sunday night. Doesn't hurt, although it's sensitive to cold. My wife thinks that means there's a root canal in my near future. Root canal, cap, or just pull the damn thing. Anything they do, though, I'm sure is going to hurt more than actually breaking the tooth did. I'll find out on Thursday.

Best,

Mark Terry

5 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

Hey, I know that chimp!
I don't really have anything to add since I agree with you on everything you posted but just wanted you to know I am amused and appreciate your personal rantings as much as the writing insights.

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shock jocks are a sad part of modern life -- pandering as they do to the ignorant an prejudiced just to make a buck.

Another sad part of life is (are?) teeth. Why do they have nerves to begin with? Did cave men smack them out with a stone when they hurt? Well, maybe. Until I have a lot less teeth than I do now, I just have any tooth that hurts filled or yanked.

Your broken tooth might be fine. One of my front teeth had the corner knocked off it when I was in fourth grade and it's still fine. I have to be careful not to bite into popsicles though!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome to America. First time? It's fun. Our headlines concentrate on who the father is of some dead talentless chick's kid while the rest of the world is on the verge of WWIII. You didn't mention the loveley weather we're having. Al Gore must have given another speech. Bowling is for people who can't write.

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope i can get Sho Online Mun in low price,
Yesterday i bought Sho Mun for my friend.
i want him like it. i will give Sho Online gold to him
as birthday present. i like the Sho gold very much.
I usually buy Sho Online gold and keep it in my store.

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a new player , you may need some game guides or information to enhance yourself.
last chaos gold is one of the hardest theme for every class at the beginning . You must have a good way to manage your lastchaos gold.If yor are a lucky guy ,you can earn so many lastchaos money by yourself . But if you are a not , I just find a nice way to get buy last chaos gold. If you need , you can cheap lastchaos goldat our website . Go to the related page and check the detailed information . Once you have any question , you can connect our customer service at any time .

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home