Mark Terry

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Huh

October 5, 2010
Last week I parted ways with my agent, for a plethora (yes, a plethora!) of reasons.

Yesterday I had a conversation with an agent about my partial manuscript for China Fire. I was reminded, quickly, how every agent has a different style and how they see things or don't see things in varied and manifestly different ways.

And that isn't to say that I found her comments wrong. It was more the moments between the comments that gave me pause, the ones that made me think, "If you really didn't read anything besides the first chapter, why are you talking about the rest of the manuscript as if you did? When it really, really seems clear to me that you didn't do anything more than read the first chapter, then pick bits and pieces throughout the rest of the manuscript and skim sections."

Like I said, an interesting conversation, and we had other things to discuss besides China Fire, which this agent--for whatever reasons--seemed far more interested in discussing.

Strange.


5 Comments:

Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

Yay! You can do SO much better. I've been thinking that since we first became writing friends. Everything happens at the right time, though.

Good luck, Mark! I'm so excited for you! This opens up a-whole-nother bunch of possibilities for you!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

'tasha,
Well, we'll see. I don't rule out just handling things myself and consulting with an attorney with publishing contract expertise as necessary.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Eric Mayer said...

Good luck. Let's hope the new agent opens some really big doors.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Eric,
Who knows? The industry's changing, at least some corners of it.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Travis Erwin said...

Wish you luck whichever way the tide pulls you.

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home